The Cosmopolitan cocktail, short “Cosmo”, is one of my favorite drinks with vodka. I think it became quite popular again in 1998 with the TV show “Sex and the city”. At the bar in Tivoli Copenhagen, I learned from a bartender, that the Cosmo was actually a gentlemen’s drink. Although the recipe is quite easy, it is hard to get a decent one in bars. Especially the bars in the tourist regions have some weird creations, but it has nothing to do with a real Cosmopolitan. In the end I often get disappointed.
What makes a Cosmopolitan great? First and most important thing is the balance of sweet and sour. Don’t overdo it with the booze either and you don’t need simple syrup. The best Cosmopolitan is from my girlfriend Ingunn. I am happy to share with you this signature recipe.
The easy and short version to remember is: 4-3-2-1: four ice cubes, three units Cranberry juice, 2 units Vodka, 1 unit Cointreau and a quarter of a lime.
- 1.5 jigger Cranberry juice
- 1 jigger Vodka
- 0.5 jigger Cointreau, especially good fit is the one with blood oranges
- 1 quarter of a lime
- Add all ingredients in your cocktail shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled!
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an orange zest. If you are comfortable with fire, then flame the orange zest over the drink.